Monday, May 19, 2008

Wither To Zimbabweans?

Latest news on the BBC is that immigrants are being attacked and sometimes killed in Johannesburg and the quitely acknowledged South-African xenophobia is manifested. Wait quietly acknowledged....wasn't Makwerekwere a hot song once? Ahh but I digress. I could I suppose rail against the South Africans and get pissed off at their behaviour which was my intention when I started this post but then again.......Mencken comes to mind "People get the government they deserve", if we don't like the behaviour of the South Africans....go home! This violence against immigrants in South Africa, the South African leadership's apathy to intervene in Zimbabwe, and the recent move by Botswana to make their border with Zimbabwe less porous; all of this makes me wonder if we are not seeing the beginnings of an Isolationist period in Africa. Hear me out: I think Isolationism is a splendid idea for African states. Why should we be each other's keepers when internally we have our own burdens to carry. Much as I hate to agree with him (for non-Zimbabwe related reasons) Mbeki was right "Zimbabwe is not a province of South Africa" we cannot expect intervention from outside for our problems just as South Africa cannot expect employing Zimbabweans to occur without consequence.

No comments: